Friday, January 16, 2015

Dinner in the Old City

Thursday evening we decided to walk into the Old City. We wanted to look for a Northern Thai restaurant that had been recommended by Dan's Thai tutor. We walked quite a long way and finally decided which place it was (Huen Pen). When we went inside, we saw that there was a very long waiting line and so decided to eat there another time (maybe with a reservation). So we walked back toward Chiang Mai Gate and ended up at Cafe de Than Aoan. It was a very nice place and we tried some new dishes.

On the walk, we passed quite a few temples. One was already gated and locked for the night, but when I glanced in through a doorway, I saw this:


On the way back, the light was off and the wooden doors were closed. Gorgeous sight! We also passed a very fancy hotel with a nice-looking restaurant. They had an interesting spirit house. I like the people inside sitting at a table.


We decided to try some dishes we'd never had before. Dan had Khao Soi and I had Rad Na. Here's the menu; mine is on the lower left and Dan's on the lower right.


As to be expected, trying new things can be hit or miss. Dan's was wonderful, mine a bit blah. It looked prettier than it tasted, as it was quite bland. If the soup had been less gelatinous, I would have enjoyed it more. The noodles were globby in the bottom, but the vegetables and shrimp were good.



I probably won't post tomorrow, as my habit is to do it first thing in the morning. We are meeting a tour group at 7:00 for a day trip to Chiang Rai in the far north. So you can expect lots of interesting photos in a couple of days!

1 comment:

  1. I can almost see the gelatin in the soup! I'm enjoying the lovely clothing displays in your various blogs.

    ReplyDelete

Please send me your thoughts about my posts.