Thursday, May 12, 2011

Morning Sounds

The Woodstock campus is a mountain-side bird sanctuary. I am not a good bird-watcher; I am usually still trying to find the bird by the time someone else has spotted and identified it. My mother is especially good at it; she is a long-time member of the Audubon Society. In the early mornings when it is just beginning to get light, the Himalayan Whistling Thrush sings. There must be a nest in a tree very near our bedroom window, because I often hear it--and it's loud. I have timed it as long as 10 full seconds, although 5 to 7 is usual. Click on XC19596 below and then the arrow to play this recording I found online.

XC19596
Blue Whistling-thrush (Myophonus caeruleus) by David Farrow from Bhutan

Shortly after the whistling thrush sings, the muezzin calls the Muslim faithful to early morning prayer. We also hear it in the early evening.

   (Link)     View more               Human Sound Clips         and        Voice Sound Clips dddd    Before long, we hear the thundering sounds of monkeys running across the tin roof of the Quad. Fortunately, I am usually able to fall back asleep after enjoying the first sounds of the day.

All of this is in sharp contrast to our home in Goshen, Indiana, where we hear a few cheeping birds but mainly the sounds of machines -- cars, trucks, planes, lawn-mowers, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please send me your thoughts about my posts.